This soup is one of my all time favorites! I love the flavor combos and the simplicity of it makes it perfect for a big batch meal prep to enjoy throughout the week. Sweet potatoes are also always readily available, inexpensive and delicious. I'm a big fan! They provide high quantities of Vitamin A, B6, C and D and they are high in carotenoids like beta carotene which is a powerful antioxidant.
1 large white onion, diced
3 cloves garlic minced
1 large sweet potato, cubed
2 Tbsp yellow curry powder
1/4 tsp chipotle (or cayenne) powder
3/4 tsp sea salt + 1/2 tsp pepper
3 cups coconut milk (light or whole)
1 can chickpeas (2 cups)
3 Tbsp olive oil
1/2 tsp yellow curry powder
1/4 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp ginger powder
pinch chipotle powder (or cayenne)
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Add 1/2 Tbsp coconut (or olive/canola) oil to a large pot and sweat the onions over medium heat for a few minutes until aromatic. Add garlic and stir.
- Add 1/4 tsp each salt and pepper, sweet potatoes, curry powder, chipotle (or cayenne) and stir.
- Cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add 1/4 tsp more salt and pepper, coconut milk and cover.
- Bring to a simmer and then reduce heat to low. Simmer for 25 minutes more.
- In the meantime, prep your chickpeas by tossing them in olive oil and spices and spreading evenly on a baking sheet. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until crispy on the outside and slightly soft on the inside. Remove and set aside for serving.
- At the end of 25 minutes, taste and adjust seasonings as needed. Then puree using an food processor or blender.
- Will keep in the fridge for several days and the freezer properly stored for a month or so.
* Recipe adapted from Dana at minimalistbaker.com